With the football season now officially over, there’s only one thing to focus on, as Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has the details of this week’s gigs.
Happy Sunday folks. Or is it..? We’ll admit, due to this writer retreating to the sunny climes of Spain for Primavera, this missive was penned before the events of last night’s Champions League final, so we can’t comment whether the state of Liverpool in is utter euphoria or total despair.
Football aside, one thing is for sure. Now, we can all relax and (hopefully) enjoy a summer with some half decent weather.
What we can also enjoy is the slew of gigs that come around at this time of year and this week the goodness keeps rolling on.
As they do every week, Parrjazz are doing their thing in Jacaranda Phase One, Lounge 69 and Ma Boyles. The Kaiser Chiefs are also in town (again).
Our Deep Cuts night returns, this time on a Friday night and it looks to be a tasty one, which we urge you all to come along and enjoy.
There’s plenty of other happenings to – the best of them are below for your consideration:
This week’s picks.
Emmy The Great: Jacaranda Phase One, Monday June 3
English singer-songwriter Emmy The Great (born Emmy-Lee Moss) arrives in town on the back of her new album, First Love.
The Hong-Kong born, London-based songstress is a purveyor of dreamy soundscapes and perceptive lyrics. No better way to start your week than here.
This Is The Kit: Jacaranda Phase One, Thursday June 6
Splitting up her time between living in Bristol and France, This Is The Kit (also known as Kate Stables) returns to Liverpool, playing Jac’ Phase One on the eve of her tour of the United States.
This Is The Kit‘s latest offering, Moonshine Freeze, was released in 2017, so we expect new TITK material to be in the offing in due course. First, though – get along to this.
Deep Cuts #26: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday June 7
Our Deep Cuts event returns, this time on a Friday night and it has to be said, it’s the finest line-up of the year so far.
Russia’s Gnoomes headline the night, with the Rocket Recordings artists returning to Merseyside on the back of their brand new album, Mu!, which was released on Friday.
Avi Buffalo: 81 Renshaw, Friday, June 7
Having played at 81 Renshaw Street last March, Avi Buffalo (Avigdor Zahner-Isenberg) returns, this time with his latest offering in collaboration with Ari Prado, Glow Cast on Eternal Sound.
Like last year, tickets will be very limited for this so don’t sleep on it.
Sambroso All Stars present: The Buena Vista: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday, June 7
After a successful show last October, London’s Sambroso Noda returns to 24 Kitchen Street to reinterpret tracks from the Grammy award winning album, Buena Vista Social Club.
There’s plenty happening on Friday and if want to ditch your riffs for something different, then this one’s for you.
Hands Off Gretel: Arts Club, Loft, Saturday, June 8
South Yorkshire natives, Hands Off Gretel, are back in town to deliver some shiny grunge, or in their own words “A riotous tangle of bubblegum riffs and rebel girl swagger”. Sounds good to us…
Hands Off Gretel illuminate the carnage of Seel Street on your Saturday night in support of their new album, I Want the World.
What else is on:
- Anne-Marie: Mountford Hall, Monday June 3
- Tekno Disco on the terrace w/ Capsule: 24 Kitchen Street, Monday June 3
- Kaiser Chiefs: Mountford Hall, Tuesday June 4
- Parrjazz presents Clube De Choro: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday June 4
- Sean Paul: Mountford Hall, Wednesday June 5
- Kelly Jones: Philharmonic Hall, Thursday June 6
- Sam Lyon: 81 Renshaw, Thursday June 6
- Sister Midnight presents Scuttlers, Tiger Twins: The Zanzibar, Friday June 7
- Another Sky: The Shipping Forecast, Friday, June 7
- Vinyl Junkie presents Nocturnal Coast – EP launch: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday, June 8
- John Power: Arts Club, Saturday, June 8
- Vinyl Junkie presents Sheafs: The Shipping Forecast, Saturday June 8
- Strange Bones: The Jacaranda Club, Saturday June 8
- Parrjazz presents Danny Pye and friends: Ma Boyles, Saturday June 8
- John Mcglone and the Souls of Emotion album launch: Studio2 Parr Street, Saturday June 8
- The Great Northwestern Hoboes: District, Saturday June 8