Liverpool’s own Azura Kings subject themselves top Getintothis’ 13 Questions and tell us about teaching kids to swear, first records and Sigrid.
Azura Kings create a confident, swaggering noise, pitched in the sweet spot between epic indie and psych pop. It is easy to imagine their songs becoming festival anthems, such is their instant catchiness and appeal.
Their Dirty Dancefloors single demands to be heard.
Echoes of The Verve and Stone Roses make this a classic in waiting. On Save Your Soul they come across as perhaps the natural successors to Vryll Society and, given the latter’s absence, this coulld definitely work in their favour.
Getintothis sent the band 13 Questions to fins out what makes their world turn. Read on to find out more.
- Where are you and what are you doing?
“Preppin’ for our first headline show here on Smithdown Road atm.”
- How is that working out?
“Amazing. Sold out, got the Bob Marley party package in full swing.”
- What is your favourite film?
Ro: “Princess Mononoke.”
Ali G 1 : “La Haine.”
Ali G 2: “Inglorious Bastards.”
Matt: “The Goonies.”
- What is your favourite book?
Ro: “Grief Is the Thing With Feathers.”
Ali G 1: “Biff n Chip.”
Ali G 2: “1984.”
Matt: “The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist”.
- What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a round of drinks?
“A firm £50 in Camden for like 2 drinks. Mad!”
- Which do you prefer, playing live or being in a recording studio?
“Live. Whole reason we go to the studio is to create sounds we want to share and dance to a crowd with.”
- What was the first record you bought with your own money?
Ro: “A Magnetic Man CD.”
Ali G 1: “Nevermind/American Idiot.”
Ali G 2; “Permission to Land, by The Darkness.“
- What was the first gig you went to?
Ro: “My mum in the lounge after a few.”
Ali G 1: “Nickelback hahahahaha”
Ali G 2: “Hindsights ??”
Matt: “Just Jack.”
- What is the worst gig you’ve ever done?
“We don’t speak of it.”
- What’s your first memory?
Ro: “Preaching to the rest of the class from atop the monkey bars in nursey teaching em how to swear. Got the vinegar through the mouth very rapid.”
Ali G 1: “Stung by a Jellyfish in a cave.”
Ali G 2; “In the car with my dad banging out Beverly Hills by Weezer“
Matt: “Chillin in Canada. Flex”
- What’s your guilty listening pleasure?
Ali G 1: “Sigrid”
Ali G 2; “Sigrid”
- Vinyl, CD, MP3 or Streaming?
- Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Is there anything else you’d like to say?
“For sure. We’re playing Sound City this year so if you’re there be sure to come check out our new set. (Also Sigrid if you see this plz let us come cover Strangers with u some time x)”