There’s one final push before the Christmas holidays, as Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has the dish on all the live happenings this week.
There’s one last blast in the run-up to the big day and it’s arguably the biggest local love-in of the year. Macca, Mick and Bill all grace the stage this week and if you’re not attending at least one of these events, well, it may just be classed as wool behaviour! You can be the judge of that…
It is almost Christmas and if you want to go totally off the wall then there’s always Def Leppard which is a decent enough excuse to dust off that mullet wig and leather jacket that you’ve had stored away in the loft since the early ’90s.
There’s plenty of street level happenings, too. Parrjazz Tuesdays at Jacaranda Phase One looks tasty. There’s a few album/single launches dotted around the place, too. I guess you could say it’s all happening.
The pick of the bunch:
Paul McCartney – Echo Arena, Wednesday December 12
After playing the Cavern Club earlier this year, along with traipsing around his old haunts with James Corden, Macca is home for Christmas!
Those who splurged out on tickets for this, well, we hope you have enough money left over to put some presents under the tree. Either way, Paul McCartney, Liverpool and Christmas. Can one really go wrong?
Bill Ryder-Jones: Grand Central Hall, Thursday December 13
As stated about, there’s a plethora of local love-ins but none as street-level as the venerable Bill Ryder-Jones who is back with his excellent new album, Yawn.
Kick.Out #9: (Various artists): The Jacaranda Club, Friday December 14
Capeesh are putting on a Christmas bash at the Jac in what looks like a great night ahead.
The Fernweh: Arts Club Friday, December 14
Three piece local darlings, The Fernweh hit the Arts Club to launch their brand new self-titled long-player.
Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band: Grand Central Hall, Saturday December 15
Well, this is turning out to be a bit of an annual pilgrimage for Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band, a la the ‘Bunnymen at the Philharmonic.
This is sure to be a stellar evening, with Mick playing all the hits and no doubt material from the excellent Adios Senor Pussycat. A bit like last year, but that’s fine by us. It’s Christmas and we don’t care.
The Mysterines: The Zanzibar Club, Saturday, December 15
Local psychsters, The Mysterines, will play with Zanzibar this Saturday night.
Def Leppard: Echo Arena, Saturday, December 15
Wash those ‘501s and dust off your Docs. The ‘Leppard are gallopping into town to paint the town red!
Christmas has come early for some, as the arrival Def Leppard will be one to store in the memory bank for all you poodle rock hounds out there.
The Wedding Present: Arts Club, Saturday December 15
Miss out on Mick Head tickets? There’s always an alternative and this time is comes in the way of The Wedding Present.
David Gedge and Co. will be inflicting their heartbreak and lovely riffs on the Arts Club. We’ll hopefully see you there.
The best of the rest.
- Katie Melua: Philharmonic Hall, Monday December 10
- John Wilson & The John Wilson Orchestra: Philharmonic Hall, Tuesday, December 11
- Parrjazz Tuesday: Jacaranda Records Phase One, Tuesday December 11
- Turno/Bermuda: 24 Kitchen Street, Tuesday December 11
- Queen Zee: 24 Kitchen Street, Thursday December 13
- Curse Of Lono/The Grande: 81 Renshaw Street, Friday December 14
- Octave One (Live): 24 Kitchen Street, Friday December 14
- Just..Techno: Meraki, Friday December 14
- Kazimier – New Rituals: Invisible Wind Factory, Friday December 14
- Pink Tiger (Single Release): Sound Food and Drink, Friday December 14
- Skindred: O2 Academy Saturday, December 15
- Trippy Visions: Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday December 15
- Columbia Live: Studio 2 Parr Street Saturday December 15
- Parrjazz Saturdays: Ma Boyle’s Saturday December 15
- The Soul Rays: On Air, Saturday December 15